Friday, April 13, 2012

4-12 Recap

Another day and I struggled again.  I know its April and I'm still learning the teams but this is way harder than I thought.  Oh well keep pluggin along and everything will turn out.  Here are the recaps.

Nationals 3 Reds 2 (Loss)

The Reds were held scoreless until the 9th inning when they scored 2 runs to tie the game and get my hopes up.  My hopes were even higher when they got out of a bases loaded jam in the bottom of the inning but alas, all hopes were dashed in the bottom of the 10th as the Nationals put one across to win.  How did they score that winning run you may ask.  Well I am here to tell you they scored that run on a wild pitch.  That is right a wild pitch ended this game. 

Tigers 7 Rays 2 (Loss)

The Rays loaded the bases in the first inning with nobody out against Drew Smyly who was making his major league debut.  Smyly got out of that inning without allowing a run and I knew it was all downhill for Tampa Bay after that.  Smyly didn't get the win because he threw 90 pitches in 4 innings, but he didn't get the loss and his team won so overall a pretty successful day.

Twins 10 Angels 9 (Loss)

I don't even know where to begin with this game.  The Angels had a 6-0 lead and looked like they would be on cruise control when the Twins started to chip away.  3 in the 5th inning.  3 in the 7th inning to tie it.  After the Angels take the lead back in the top of the 8th inning the Twins score 4 in the bottom of the inning to take a 10-7 lead.  The Angels all of a sudden score 2 more in the 9th to close to 10-9 but are denied that third and final run and lose to Minnesota.  Again.  Get all that?

Rangers 5 Mariners 3 (Win)

The Rangers managed to hold on to a lead today and take the series against the Mariners down in Arlington.  Derek Holland struck out 8 Mariners and didn't walk anyone in getting his first win of the year.  The only mistake he made was a curve ball that hung up to Kyle Seagar who hit the ball 446 feet for his first home run of the year.  Other than that Holland was in total control and he got the win to prove it.  

Cubs 8 Brewers 0 (Loss)

Um I really have nothing to say here.  Thanks for proving me wrong Zack.  Today I mention that I would trust Zack Greinke against pretty much anyone and he goes out and throws this clunker of a game.  This was the worst beating Greinke has received in almost 2 years and he does it on the day I put my faith in him.  Matt Garza was brilliant for the Cubs, coming within one out of a complete game before bullpen came in and mopped up for him.

Giants 4 Rockies 1 (Win)

This might be the weirdest series I have seen in quite sometime.  The Rockies score 20 runs in three games against the Giants and yet still only win one game.  I guess that is because 17 of those 20 runs came in ONE GAME!  The other 2 the Rockies scored 0 and 1 run respectively.  Jamie Moyer is going to have to wait another 5 days to become the oldest pitcher to win a game, although technically if he won today and won 5 days from now he would still have the record in 5 days.  My head is starting to hurt.

Phillies 3 Marlins 1 (Loss)

Shane Victorino and Ty Wigginton both hit home runs for the Phillies today and Joe Blanton made it stand by pitching 7 innings and only giving up 1 run.  The Phillies offense still looks pretty anemic outside of those 2 bombs but when you have a pitching staff like that I guess 2 or 3 runs is enough to win.  I do think that this team will eventually need to score a few more runs as I highly doubt they can keep winning 3-1.

Diamondbacks 3 Padres 1 (Win)

Ian Kennedy struck out 9 hitters in 6 innings as the Diamondbacks won and he remained perfect in his career against the Padres.  He is now 6-0 with a 1.90 ERA against the Padres and his ERA actually went up today because he gave up one run.  Don't ask me why I didn't pick this for my lock of the day.  Hindsight is 20/20 but the next time Kennedy pitches against the Padres that will be my lock of the day.

Dodgers 3 Pirates 1 (Loss)


Chris Capuano struck out 7 in his home debut as a member of the Dodgers and he shut down the team that has dominated him for most of his career.  He struck out 5 of the first 8 hitters he faced and the Dodgers scored all 3 runs in the first inning and Capuano and the bullpen made it stick.  Also worth mentioning is that Javy Guerra already has 5 saves for the Dodgers. Pretty impressive.

Days Record: 3-6                  Overall Record: 48-47                Lock of the Day Record: 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment