Saturday, May 5, 2012

5-5 Predictions

Happy Cinco de Mayo everybody!! Be safe!! Now that we are back to 30 games over .500 it is time to keep going forward and keep racking up those wins!!  Prediction time.


Away
Home
Time (ET)
Away Probable
Home Probable


Dodgers (Capuano) vs Cubs (Volstad)

Now that Phil Hughes and Freddie Garcia are no longer starting together for the New York Yankees I need a new pitching duo to pick on.  I think that I am going to go with Chris Volstad and Randy Wells for my chuckles now.  I like the Dodgers in this game because Volstad is going to give up his share of runs and Capuano will be effective enough to get the win.

Pick: Dodgers

Phillies (Worley) vs Nationals (Gonzalez)

Gio Gonzalez has been pitching really well for the Nationals so far this year, but Vance Worley hasn't been chopped liver either.  I will give the edge to Gonzalez in starting pitching and even though both offenses struggle I am going to say the Nationals offense is better right now.  Better pitching plus better hitting equals a win in my book.

Pick: Nationals

Orioles (Hammel) vs Red Sox (Cook)

I am starting to realize that maybe I shouldn't be picking against the Orioles so much as they are a better team than I thought.  I am also realizing that the Red Sox are a worse team than I thought and I am picking them to win too much.  With that logic, which I think is sound, I am going to go with the Baltimore Orioles in this one.

Pick: Orioles

Diamondbacks (Corbin) vs Mets (Santana)

I am starting to get the hang of picking the Mets, and it only took me a month to figure it out.  Actually who am I kidding I still don't know what to do when these guys are playing.  I am going to pick them to win today because I think Johan Santana has pitched pretty well so far this year and he is due to get a win.  That will come today.

Pick: Mets

White Sox (Floyd) vs Tigers (Scherzer)

Gavin Floyd or Max Scherzer.  Both of these pitchers came in with a lot of hype and neither one has lived up to it so far.  Scherzer is still young and so he has a chance to turn it around, and doing so against your A.L Central rival would be a nice start.  I predict that Scherzer and the Tigers will get the win today to even up the series.

Pick: Tigers

Brewers (Wolf) vs Giants (Bumgarner)

I am going to ride the wave that is Madison Bumgarner for as long as I can.  The kid just knows how to pitch and he keeps getting good results.  He is looking to join Lance Lynn as 5-game winners in the National League and I think he will get there today.  It doesn't hurt that he is facing an offense that will probably still be missing Ryan Braun.

Pick: Giants

Reds (Leake) vs Pirates (McDonald)

I am torn on this game.  I don't really like either pitcher and I don't really like either offense.  I like McDonald better than Leake but I like the Reds offense more than the Pirates.  I am going to go with my gut on this one, and it is telling me that James McDonald and the Pittsburgh Pirates will get the win today.

Pick: Pirates

Cardinals (Garcia) vs Astros (Norris)

The Astros are playing good baseball and our looking for their fifth straight win overall.  They turn to Bud Norris to get that win, who has had a lot of success against the Cardinals so far in his career.  He is 6-2 with a 2.37 in his career against St. Louis.  Meanwhile Jaime Garcia has never beaten the Astros.  I am going to go with the Astros here.

Pick: Astros


Rangers (Holland) vs Indians (Lowe)

The suddenly sputtering Rangers are going to have a fight on their hands as Derek Lowe has gotten his career back on the right track.  He is still getting a lot of ground balls and the Rangers love to hit the ball in the air so this should be a good contrast of styles.  I like Lowe and the Indians to keep Texas struggling and get the win today.

Pick: Indians


Yankees (Kuroda) vs Royals (Paulino)

The Yankees received a lift yesterday when Mariano Rivera said he would be back next season.  Today they get a lift by going against Felipe Paulino, who is making his first start after a sting on the disabled list.  Hiroki Kuroda is going to get his first road win in a Yankees uniform and they will continue to hit the ball well against the Royals and get the win here today.

Pick: Yankees


Athletics (Colon) vs Rays (Hellickson)

This is another case of riding the hot hand.  I will not pick against the Rays until they lose again at home.

Pick: Rays


Braves (Minor) vs Rockies (Moyer)

Jamie Moyer is pitching incredibly well and the only reason why his record isn't better is because he has gotten no run support whatsoever.  The Rockies have only scored 5 runs for him this whole season when he has been in the game, but he will not be deterred.  Today is the day the Rockies bats break out for him and get him a win.

Pick: Rockies


Marlins (Buerhle) vs Padres (Richard)

So far none of the 3 big free agents the Marlins have signed have done much.  Heath Bell is getting demoted from the closer role, Jose Reyes is hitting .235 in the leadoff spot, and Mark Buerhle has a 1-4 record.  Buerhle looks to get back in track today and help the Marlins win their fifth game in a row, and I think that they will.

Pick: Marlins


Blue Jays (Drabek) vs Angels (Wilson)

Albert Pujols is now hitting under .200 for the Angels and still doesn't have a home run and to be honest the rest of the Angels lineup isn't faring too much better.  They were shut out for the second straight game on Friday as Henderson Alvarez completely slammed the door on them.  I like them to get the win today however, as I think C.J Wilson will outpitch Kyle Drabek and get the win.

Pick: Angels


Twins (Marquis) vs Mariners (Hernandez)

I know the Mariners have lost 7 straight games.  So picking them for my lock of the day makes no sense to most people.  My reasoning is that Felix Hernandez is straight dealing right now and he will make the Twins offense look silly.  I think the Mariners can scrounge together a couple of runs against Jason Marquis and that is all they will need.  That is why they are my lock of the day.

Pick: Mariners.  This is my lock of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment